Toilet facilities could now face cuts

Local government secretary Sajid David on his visit to Portsmouth last week 
Picture: Sarah Standing (170658-8259)

Solent Combined Authority deal ‘not dead’ says minister

0
Have your say

TOILETS will be the focus of a public consultation.

Residents across Chichester district will be asked for their views on how public facilities should be provided and operated.

Chichester District Council says it is looking at the service to make sure it offers the best value for money.

The council has already saved over £4m but leaders say further cuts will be needed.

And the public convenience budget may need to be trimmed.

The consultation includes whether the council should start charging people for using public toilets.

Bob Riley, contracts manager, said: ‘Even though there is no duty on local authorities to provide and operate public conveniences, we own and manage 20 across the district. Councillors see this as an important community service.

‘However the council needs to continually review what it is delivering.’

Consultation starts on October 29. Visit chichester.gov.uk/consultations or call (01243) 534623.

Back to the top of the page