Portsmouth fatal fire started by a cigarette

jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Sportscar - The two-seater sportscar in which one man died and another was seriously injured

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Identity mystery of car crash victim

A fire which claimed the life of a 47-year-old man was started by a cigarette dropped in the bedroom.

Police and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service carried out an investigation into the fire, which broke out in a fifth floor flat at Omega House, Somers Town on Monday afternoon.

Although fire fighters managed to get the man out of the burning flat, the as-yet-unnamed victim was pronounced dead on arrival at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham.

In a statement, the fire service said: 'The evidence indicates that this fire started as a result of the careless disposal of smoking materials in the bedroom.

'This fire led to the tragic loss of a life in the Portsmouth area and highlights the need for householders to ensure all smoking materials are extinguished when going to sleep and that they should never smoke in bed. We would also advise householders not to smoke if they feel sleepy, been drinking or taking prescription drugs because, once again, you could fall asleep whilst holding a lit cigarette, which could have devastating consequences.'