Post mortem of lake man leaves questions

TRIBUTES Simon Burgess
TRIBUTES Simon Burgess
jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Sportscar - The two-seater sportscar in which one man died and another was seriously injured

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Identity mystery of car crash victim

0
Have your say

A POST-MORTEM examination carried out on Gosport lake victim Simon Burgess has proved inconclusive.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the 41-year-old’s death.

Mr Burgess was seen entering the water at Walpole Park, in Gosport, shortly after midday last Thursday.

As reported, the emergency services were called minutes later when he was spotted floating face down.

But the first firefighters to arrive did not enter the water as they saw no visible signs of life.

They instead waited for a specialist water rescue unit to arrive from Fareham.

The cause of Mr Burgess’s death has so far not been ascertained. A date for a full inquest has not yet been set.

It comes as a growing number of floral tributes have been left at the park, where Mr Burgess was known to feed the swans every day.

Gosport MP Caroline Dinenage said the possibility Mr Burgess was left in the water while still alive was horrifying. She said: ‘It’s horrifying he stayed in the lake for so long without anyone rescuing him.’

Mrs Dinenage has asked for a meeting with Gosport’s borough commander, Chief Inspector Jason Kenny.

South Central Ambulance Service said Mr Burgess was submerged in the water for around 25 minutes.

Paramedics tried to carry out life-saving treatment on Mr Burgess, of White Lion Walk, Gosport, before giving him drugs and rushing him to hospital.

It is not known whether he had shown signs of life after he was removed from the water.

There have since been growing calls for an inquiry into the 41-year-old’s death.