Power cut in Milton

Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places

0
Have your say

HOMES were left without any electricity after a fuse blew at a sub-station and caused smoke to rise from a pavement.

Fourteen properties in Shelford Road and Mayles Road, Milton, had no power for several hours on Friday night.

The power cut was reported at about 7pm.

A fire engine was also called to the scene after 999 calls about smoke coming up from the ground.

Messages were left on Twitter about the problem.

A spokeswoman for Southern Electric said: ‘The fuse at the sub-station needed to be replaced.

‘With the underground cable there’s been a bit of smoke coming up from the pavement.

‘The fire and rescue service was called.’

A team from Southern Electric worked throughout the evening to restore power.

A spokeswoman said: ‘Crews were on site very quickly and power was restored in stages.

‘Some were back on within an hour and a quarter.

‘We got the last one restored at 3.20am. We had to replace some of the fuses and had to do some digging to reach the cable itself.’

The undergroud cable was set to be replaced today.

Back to the top of the page