Premier Inn hotel in Portsmouth evacuated after chemical incident

Jabba the Hutts palace on the inhospitable Tatooine

RICK JACKSON: Orange skies, pungent pongs and trumpets from heaven – what a world!

0
Have your say

A HOTEL was evacuated this morning after two people inhaled fumes created by cleaning products.

The incident at the Premier Inn, in Binnacle Way, Cosham, Portsmouth, happened around 9.45am.

Two chemicals used for cleaning had been mixed together, causing them to give off harmful fumes.

Everyone inside was sent out while firefighters ensured the chemicals did not cause further risk and a hazardous chemical inspector was tasked with disposing of them.

Two people were treated at the scene and taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham, to be checked over. South Central Ambulance Service says their condition is not life threatening.

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said: ‘We were called this morning to Binnacle Way to a hotel that had been evacuated due to a chemical incident.

‘We sent two ambulance crews, an ambulance officer and a hazard area response team.

‘They assisted two people, who were affected by the chemicals.’