Protesters hold sit-in at Barclays bank

rw images from Simon Hart

From: Simon Hart <>

Even though George V proclaimed all German titles were to be given up by his family a century ago (July 17 1917), there is still physical evidence in our city of the Germanic royal house that once existed. Two commemoration stones relating to members of the royal house previous to the House of Windsor are so readily a part of the fabric of our daily lives but are probably in the most part overlooked.

A walk along Queen Street and on the corner with Aylward Street will present a building with a foundation stone that was laid by HRH Princess Henry of Battenberg in 1912. This was the married title of Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice which was relinquished on 14 July 1917. From 17 July 1917 she was known as HRH the Princess Beatrice.

A visit to Sainsburys foyer in Commercial Road will provide the opportunity to see a commemoration stone for the opening of the Child's Ward of the Royal Hospital in 1909 by HH Princess Victoria of Schleswig

Four arrested after police crackdown in Commercial Road

Have your say

AROUND 20 people were involved in a ‘sit-in’ protest at Barclays Bank in Commercial Road, Portsmouth.

Demonstrators entered the bank at 1pm on Saturday and sat down on the floor for just over an hour.

The protest was organised by campaigning group UK Uncut and came as part of a nationwide day of action against the bank.

It followed revelations that the bank had paid only one per cent corporation tax on pre-tax profits of £11.6 billion in 2009.

Protesters in the city leafleted people and spoke outside the Portsmouth branch while about 20 people entered Barclays and sat down.

The police were called but protesters remained until they chose to leave at 2.15pm.

France Vigay, who was part of the protest, said: ‘People set up a library inside to highlight the effects of the cuts which are being made on important public services to pay for the economic crisis caused by banks such as Barclays.’

A short video was also recorded of the sit-in and posted on YouTube.