QUICK-thinking stopped a possible explosion after a fire quickly spread in a boatyard.
Firefighters from Southsea were sent to the boatyard, off Ferry Road, in Eastney yesterday afternoon after a small boat and a houseboat caught alight.
One man was treated after he inhaled smoke when he helped the owner of the boathouse move possessions from inside as the flames took hold – including pressurised dive cylinders which could have exploded.
He was treated for smoke inhalation on-scene by paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service.
The fire started after material burning in a metal container was blown to a small boat, which was nearby.
The boat was ruined by the fire and small damage was also done to the houseboat.
A spokeswoman from Southsea fire station said: ‘Someone was having a fire and with the windy conditions, some of the flames spread to a nearby boat.
‘The flames continued to spread to a houseboat which was next to the boat.
‘The boat was completely ruined and the boathouse suffered about 10 per cent damage.
‘We were able to put out the fire quickly but spent time ensuring the embers were fully extinguished to prevent another fire breaking out.’
The fire happened at around 2pm but was quickly put out and the scene was made safe.