RAGING heat from a car fire melted the double glazing of a nearby house.
John and Susan Marks were sound asleep when railway workmen started pounding on the front door of their home, shouting at them to get out.
A car next to their house, in Burrfields Road, Copnor, had been set alight at 7am on Boxing Day and the fire was so severe it was threatening their property.
Mrs Marks, 60, who is disabled, threw on a coat over her pyjamas before taking the stairlift down while the house quickly filled with smoke.
Her husband grabbed the dog and they made their way outside, watching the side of their house turn black from the flames.
Fortunately firefighters managed to put out the blaze, which destroyed the white Kia car, before it spread to the house but it still caused £1,000 worth of damage.
Mrs Marks said: ‘It was terrifying. If it wasn’t for the workmen working on the railway I don’t know what would have happened.
‘They were banging on the door and it frightened me to death.
‘When we got outside we could see there was an inferno no more than a yard from the side of the house where someone had set their car alight.
‘The wall was all black and it melted the double glazing in the kitchen, and the air vent.
‘It was only a few feet away from my disabled car and it melted the number plate.
‘The terrifying thing was I had a full tank of petrol in the car.
‘If that had gone up it would have gone straight along the houses.’
The fire caused £1,000 worth of damage to the house which the couple are claiming on insurance for.
The fire was put out by a crew from Southsea station who were originally warned there may be someone in the car. But in fact the car was empty.
Police say they are not investigating the matter.