Residents speak of their sadness after man is killed by train at Portchester station

There was a crash on the M27 this morning

Crash causes delays on M27 at Fareham

0
Have your say

Rail passengers and residents have reacted with shock and sadness after a man was killed when he was hit by a train.

The incident happened shortly after 8am yesterday morning at Portchester Station in Hill Road.

Police tape blocks the entrance to Portchester station where a man died

Police tape blocks the entrance to Portchester station where a man died

A man was killed after he was hit by the 7.58am Fareham-to-Chichester train.

Lines were closed until 10.45am, and the station shut until 12.30pm, causing major disruption and delays.

Mike Flint, from Romsey, was affected by the closure as he was returning home after staying with his parents in Portchester.

The 31-year-old said he was annoyed by the lack of information given at the train station, however he added: ‘I feel sorry for the driver.’

Another rail passenger, Thomas McGinley, was heading back to Poole, and had to take a bus to Fareham.

The 41-year-old said: ‘I have just dropped a car off and it’s a bit of pain, and a shame.’

Some rail passengers took to Twitter to express their emotions.

Andrew Witt posted: ‘A big thanks to Graham the guard and the driver. They acted with professionalism in difficult circumstances.’

Luke Rowntree posted: ‘A big well done to the guard on train involved at Portchester. Has kept us informed throughout. Thoughts to the driver.’

Portchester resident Megan Street, who was passing the station on foot yesterday, said she was sad to hear of the news.

The 29-year-old said: ‘It is awful. It is the second time that this has happened since we moved here.

‘It is not very nice, especially not at this time of year – being so close to Christmas. It really sad.’

Another Portchester resident Trevor Noyes said he was shocked to hear of the news, as he had only moved into the area recently. The 68-year-old said: ‘It is sad.’

A spokesman for British Transport Police, which dealt with the incident, said: ‘Officers were called to the line at 8.11am following reports that a person had been hit.

‘Officers attended along with colleagues from Hampshire police and paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service but a man was pronounced dead at the scene.

‘The man’s death is being considered non-suspicious and officers are working to establish his identity and inform his family.

‘A file will be prepared for the coroner.’

A spokesperson for South Central Ambulance Service said they were called at 8.07am and they sent a rapid response vehicle, an ambulance and an officer to the scene but they could not help.

Yesterday’s fatality is the latest tragedy to strike the station this year. In January a woman died when she was hit by train at the station.

The 69-year-old pensioner was from the village and died on January 8. At the time, transport police said the death was not suspicious.