Roast potatoes in goose fat sparks fire in Portsmouth pub’s kitchen

A board put up by police after the crash

Police confirm identity of man who died in Fareham crash

0
Have your say

DINNER was cancelled at a pub after an oven fire broke out in a kitchen.

Roast potatoes in goose fat sparked the blaze at The Jolly Sailor pub, in Clarence Parade, Southsea, at 11.30am on Sunday.

Staff at the pub went through a number of fire extinguishers trying to put the blaze out but it re-ignited three times.

Owner Ross Mcinally said: ‘The trouble is when the fat gets to a certain temperature if it catches it is very hard to put out.

He added: ‘We expect to be open normally from Wednesday.’

The fire was limited to just one of the ovens in the kitchen. After the fire the kitchen was closed as the gas supply had to be checked.

Nobody was injured in the blaze.

An off-duty group manager from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service was driving past when he spotted the smoke and then called the fire service.

Three appliances from Southsea attended and used four breathing apparatus to put out the fire.

Crew manager Lee Sheen attended the fire. He said: ‘One of our group managers was passing by and he could see smoke issuing from the rear of the kitchen. He went to investigate.

‘He found the staff were trying to tackle an oven fire with extinguishers. They used three or four.

‘Unfortunately it scuppered their meals for the day.’

An engineer was due out to assess the oven and see if it could be used or if a replacement was needed.