Firefighters issued a safety alert today after two emergency calls in Havant caused by late-night cooking.
Two men had to be treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire last night in a flat in Somborne Road, Leigh Park, about 11.30pm.
Crew manager Ben Holt of Havant Fire Station said the men, aged 19 and 37, and about eight other residents of neighbouring flats had to be evacuated while smoke from the fire was cleared.
He said: ‘It was a small fire in someone’s kitchen due to some cooking being left unattended.
‘The occupants were alerted by their smoke alarm.’
Crew manager Holt said said flat suffered smoke damage.
The Havant Fire Station crew was called out at 2.39am to another kitchen fire at a flat in West Street, Havant.
Crew manager Holt said it was again due to cooking being left unattended.
He said 10 residents from that flat and neighbouring flats had to be evacuated while the smoke was cleared.
He said: ‘The fire brigade did smoke clearance using a fan.’
Crew manager Holt said the incidents were a warning to others to remember to keep an eye on their cooking.
He said: ‘We want to remind people not to leave their cooking unattended, and make sure you’ve got a working smoke alarm.’