Safety fears as electrical box is left exposed in Portsmouth flats

The junction box is exposed in part of the flats where parents park their buggies
The junction box is exposed in part of the flats where parents park their buggies
Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

AN ANGRY resident is worried someone may be injured if no action is taken at a block of flats.

Peter Cusick told The News of his concerns about an electrical junction box in a communal block of flats with its door left open.

Bikes, prams and chairs have been stacked up near and under the box at the flats in Devonshire Avenue, Southsea, Portsmouth.

The 53-year-old said: ‘There’s a 440-volt junction box left completely open and under it was prams.

‘My concern is that someone will get hurt.

‘I tried to speak to Portsmouth City Council and they actually said to me there’s nothing we can do – you need to phone the management company.

‘Let’s hope no-one dies in the meantime.

‘The emergency out-of-hours number in the flat was out of date. I couldn’t find anyone to call on Wednesday when I saw the box.’

Mr Cusick has now got in touch with Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and asked for a safety inspection to be carried out at the block.

There are 12 flats in the block and Mr Cusick’s partner Elizabeth Lind, 54, owns the one they live in.

Mr Cusick said he has been dealing with Mann Countrywide but nothing has happened yet.

No-one from the firm was able to confirm its involvement or respond to a request from The News yesterday.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman confirmed that two safety inspectors from Southsea attended the block of flats yesterday.

She said: ‘I can confirm two of our inspectors are on their way down there. We’ve had that enquiry and two are following it up.’