Safety first

Firefighters from Havant, Cosham and Southsea were at AMF Bowling Bedhampton   for a 'Barbecue Safety Day' ''(left to right) Southsea firefighter Danny Manns (37) gives guidelines to young Riley Holton (6) and his father Paul Holton (41) from Petersfield''Picture: Malcolm Wells (131665-8765)
Firefighters from Havant, Cosham and Southsea were at AMF Bowling Bedhampton for a 'Barbecue Safety Day' ''(left to right) Southsea firefighter Danny Manns (37) gives guidelines to young Riley Holton (6) and his father Paul Holton (41) from Petersfield''Picture: Malcolm Wells (131665-8765)
The fire near Kentidge Way, Waterlooville, yesterday. Picture: Craig Handy

Suspected arson incident in Waterlooville causes £50,000 of damage

0
Have your say

IT’S the time of year when everyone is praying for warm weather and the chance to get the barbecue out.

But make a few simple mistakes and you could find fire engines turning up at your party.

Firefighters from Havant, Cosham and Southsea were at AMF Bowling in Bedhampton for a barbecue safety day.

Stuart Damon, crew manager at Southsea, said call-outs were frequently made to discarded barbecues on Southsea Common.

He said: ‘Don’t leave them unattended and don’t discard them in a plastic bin.

‘Put them in metal containers or douse them with water to allow them to cool down first.

‘Always keep a bucket of water nearby if you are having one in the garden.’