Safety warning after tree in field on fire

Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

A WARNING has been issued by the fire service, after it is thought a disposable barbecue caused a tree to catch alight.

Two crews from Fareham fire station were called to a field off Spurlings Road, on Saturday at 9.50am.

An old tree was well alight after it had been burning throughout the night, causing distress to horses in the field.

Crews were on scene for just over an hour as they put out the blaze, and found the remains of a disposable barbecue.

Watch manager Simon Whelan said: ‘We want to remind people to dispose their barbecues properly, especially as the sun is causing grass to dry out.’