Sleeping man is rescued from Leigh Park blaze

Gusts of up to 70mph could hit Portsmouth across the next couple of days

Rush hour commuters warned of 70mph gusts set to hit Portsmouth area

0
Have your say

A MAN was rescued from a second-floor flat after a fire started in his kitchen.

The man had fallen asleep and failed to hear a smoke alarm sounding in his flat at Bournemouth House, Billy Lawn Avenue, Leigh Park.

Neighbours dialled 999 after hearing the alarm.

A crew from Havant fire station arrived at about 3am yesterday.

Firefighters had to break down the door to get in and led the man to safety.

Cooking on the grill had caught fire, but the blaze was confined to the kitchen.

Hoses were used to put out the blaze.

Craig Sadler, watch manager at Havant, said the smoke alarm stopped the fire spreading and causing damage.

‘The detector alerted his neighbours, which alerted them to us,’ he said.

‘Without a doubt, the smoke detector saved the man’s life.’

With the clocks going an hour forward, firefighters have reminded people that as well as checking all their clocks are working, they should also check their fire alarms.