Sleeping man rescued from smoke-filled Southsea flat

Shaftesbury Road. Picture: Google Maps
Shaftesbury Road. Picture: Google Maps

THIS WEEK IN 1993: Portsmouth teenager killed in knife fight

0
Have your say

Firefighters rescued a man after a blaze at a Southsea flat today.

He was led to safety in the drama in Shaftesbury Road, Southsea, shortly after 5am.

Firefighters said they discoverd the man asleep after the blaze broke out as food was heated on a kitchen hob. After the incident they issued a warning to people not to cook after drinking alcohol.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ,Eight firefighters from Southsea Fire Station attended a flat fire this morning.

‘Neighbours alerted fire control to the sound of the fire alarm and on arrival crews forced entry to discover a small fire on the hob.

‘One male was led to safety from the property. Smoke clearance was undertaken.,

In a tweet, firefighters from Southsea said: ‘Don’t drink and cook! Fast asleep with flat full of smoke’