Smoke alarm saves life of man in flat fire

Fly-tipping at Swanmore

Fly-tipper to pay thousands after dumping large amounts of waste in South Downs National Park

0
Have your say

A MAN was rescued from his flat after the food he was cooking caught fire.

The 28-year-old had been cooking chicken on his stove, in his flat in Northern Parade, Portsmouth.

The food caught fire and it is thought the man passed out after inhaling smoke.

His smoke alarm alerted neighbours who dialled 999.

Two fire crews from Cosham were called to his flat just after 11am yesterday.

Firefighters said the incidnet highlighted the importance of smoke alarms.

Watch manager Kevin Lloyd-Spencer said: ‘We came in and the door was locked from the inside and there was no sound coming from inside.

‘We forced entry into the flat. As we entered we found a man semi-conscious man.

‘The neighbours had been banging on the door, but there had been no sound of him being disturbed.

‘This incident highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in your home.’

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went in and rescued the man, who was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

One hose reel was used to put out the flames and a ventilator to remove smoke.

Back to the top of the page