Smoke alarm saves man in Portsmouth house blaze

editorial image
From left, Charlotte Tipping from World Vision HQ, organiser of the lunch Sue Tinney, chef Sam Kemp, Alan Mak MP and Amy Johnson from the World Vision Advocacy Team 

Picture:  Malcolm Wells (170922-2862)

Havant community gathers to support malnourished children in Africa

0
Have your say

A MAN managed to escape when his house caught fire after he was alerted by a smoke alarm.

A fridge freezer caught light in the kitchen at the rear of the terrace house on Thornycroft Road, Fratton, at 5.30am today.

Three fire trucks from Southsea were dispatched to the blaze and 15 firefighters put out the fire by 6.45am

The 22-year-old man was checked over by paramedics and was unhurt.

Firefighters said the smoke alarm woke the occupier up, meaning he was able to escape quickly and call for help, which meant the damage was contained the kitchen.

A spokesman from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service reinforced the importance of smoke alarms and encouraged people to test them regularly.