THE competition is really hotting up as The News Hair and Beauty Awards draw closer.
Hoping to take the top prize in the Training Centre of Excellence category is St Vincent’s College in Gosport.
Set up just two years ago, its salon has one focus — training students to become excellent hairdressers.
The college has a fully-functioning salon and last year £100,000 was spent kitting it out so that members of the public can get their hair cut.
Jamie Martin, hairdressing course co-ordinator, said: ‘We created the salon so that our students can gain experience. They get an insight to what working in a real salon is like.
‘Our customers benefit too. In a normal salon a cut and blow dry can cost £35 – with us they only pay £5.
‘It’s like a community service. The students get the experience and the clients get a professional finish at an affordable price.’
Students from the age of 16 upwards take NVQ diplomas level 1 and 2 through full-time courses or evening classes. Jamie and fellow lecturer Caron Butcher teach all the classes.
They really want to make it on to the shortlist for The News Hair and Beauty Awards so that they can take some of the students to the award ceremony in June.
Jamie said: ‘It would be great for the students, especially those leaving the course, to have something that says their training was good.’
The awards will be presented by TV star and beauty expert Amy Childs.
Jamie said: ‘Even though Amy’s background is in beauty salons, it’s nice for the students to see someone that has done so well and progressed at such a young age.’
There’s still time to nominate your favourite salon by using the form, above, or by text, details left.
To book an appointment at the St Vincent’s salon or to enrol call (023) 9260 3592.
· Junior Stylist of the Year (includes stylists with less than two years experience).
· Colour Technician of the Year (minimum two years salon experience)
· Gents’/Barber of the Year (minimum two years salon or barber shop experience)
· Female Stylist of the Year (minimum two years salon experience)
· Best Bridal/Special Occasion (hair up/extensions/hair art)
· Hair Salon of the Year (trading more than 18 months)
· Best Start-up Salon of the Year (hair or beauty trading 18 months or less)
· Beauty Therapist of the Year (beauticians/male & female grooming/tanning etc)
· Nail Technician of the Year (manicures/pedicures/nail art/gel/acrylics etc)
· Cosmetic Therapist of the Year (make up/semi-permanent/skin peels/advanced treatments/laser etc)
· Beauty Salon of the Year (trading more than 18 months)
· Training Centre Excellence Award (hair or beauty - open to colleges/salons/individuals)
· Special Achievement (an individual or team who has risen to a challenge or overcome adversity).
· Lifetime Achievement Award (special award for someone who has dedicated their life to their profession and encouraged and inspired others along the way).
NOMINATE BY TEXT
Simply send a text message starting with pen hair, the nominee’s name, salon and category plus your name, house number (or house name) and postcode to 61500. The total message must not exceed 155 characters. All text messages cost £1 plus standard network charge. The closing date for nominations is midnight on May 5, 2013. Messages received after the closing date will not be counted but may still be charged. Example of message: pen hair emma at my salon hairdresser joan smith 1 ab1 23cd
By supplying your telephone number you are happy to receive SMS/MMS messages from Johnston Press and its approved business partners. Johnston Press (or via its agents) and its business partners may contact you about new promotions, products and services. Please add the word EXIT at the end of your message if you do not wish to receive these. For quality and training purposes we may monitor communications. Service Provider: Velti DR Ltd SE1 8ND - 020 7633 5000. Ref: PEN1307MEAA