Stove causes evacuation

Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

SMOKE from a camping stove caused a five-storey hotel to be evacuated last night.

Guests at the Premier Inn in Binnacle Way, North Harbour, had to leave their rooms and wait in the hotel car park at about 10pm after alarms sounded inside the building.

Hotel staff are believed to have triggered the evacuation after discovering smoke on the fourth floor and contacting Hampshire Fire and Rescue.

Two fire crews from Cosham arrived and discovered the smoke had been caused by a guest trying to cook food on a camping stove inside their room.

They ventilated the building and the incident was over within an hour.

Crew manager John Chugg said: ‘There was no damage and no one was injured.

‘Everyone was evacuated as a precaution but it didn’t take us long to deal with.’