Talented student fell five floors to his death

Kieran Keel taken during his time at Portsmouth Grammar School PPP-140228-170513001
Kieran Keel taken during his time at Portsmouth Grammar School PPP-140228-170513001
F18 Super Hornets on the flight deck of USS George H W Bush 



Picture: Mark Rutley

The awesome power of American warship USS George HW Bush

0
Have your say

A PROMISING Oxford University student fell to his death after clambering on to the roof of his halls to smoke a cigarette, an inquest heard.

Kieran Keel, 20, suffered fatal injuries after sliding off the roof and falling five floors.

An inquest in Oxford heard Kieran, of Wickor Way, Emsworth, had returned from a night of heavy drinking with his friends and sat alone on the roof of his accommodation at the prestigious Brasenose College.

The former Portsmouth Grammar School pupil needed crutches to get around after injuring himself playing American Football and had been to several bars with his team mates on the evening of February 20.

His girlfriend, India Hill, described him as being ‘very drunk’ and said he stumbled up the stairs to his room but ‘appeared to be himself’ as he ate a takeaway.

The pair parted ways, but spoke on the phone later and Miss Hill said: ‘Everything was fine during that call.’

Olivia Bracken, a fellow student, said Kieran had been seen to smoke while hanging out of the skylight in his room, which was on the fifth floor.

Police found marks on five of the roof tiles immediately next to Kieran’s skylight window.

Detective Constable Justin Walsh, of Thames Valley Police, said: ‘I am aware of the circumstances that Kieran was in the habit of smoking from his room with his head out of the window.

‘He may have leant over too far and fell, but the marks on his clothing suggest that it was likely he may have been sat on the window frame or was right outside on the roof.

‘It suggests that he may have slipped down a series of the roof tiles before falling to the floor.’

Kieran’s body was discovered shortly after 6am when housekeeper Gillian Walker went to check a faulty light bulb in the block.

He was pronounced dead by paramedics at 6.36am.

A post-mortem examination showed he had died from loss of blood after multiple traumatic injuries.

Kieran’s was found to have a blood alcohol level of 304 milligrammes in 100 millilitres of blood – nearly four times the legal drink-driving limit.

Nicholas Graham, assistant coroner for Oxfordshire, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He said: ‘It is a very, very tragic end to a very promising life. I offer my condolences to those who knew Kieran.’

Kieran was in his second year of a Spanish and history degree.

Teachers at PGS had described him as ‘a wonderfully gifted and scholarly young man who contributed with zest to the wider life of the school’.

No family members were present at the inquest.