Teenager helps to put out fire

James Taylor at his desk in his office at 116 High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Those halcyon days when pen and paper just worked!

0
Have your say

A QUICK-thinking teenager has described how she tackled a pan fire before it spread in her Stamshaw home.

Abra Awadalla, 17, was at home in Widley Road with four friends and was one of four family members when the fire took hold.

The Havant College student said her mother Rihab Hamad raised the alarm after discovering oil left in a pan overheated and promptly evacuated the property.

She told The News she went back inside the kitchen and used a broom to knock the pan off the stove and doused the fire with water.

Firefighters used breathing equipment and a hose reel to enter the house, put out the flames and ventilate the property to make it safe.

Miss Awadalla said: ‘I opened all windows and doors and took all the kids outside.

‘The firefighters came and used a fan for the smoke and checked the fire alarms.

‘I’m not considering myself a hero because it’s my fault, and I had to do something to rescue everyone.

‘Everyone was quite shocked by what happened, especially mum.

‘The kitchen ceiling is black from the smoke, and the cooker too.

She said her two-year-old brother Ahmed Ibriham was checked over by paramedics after the blaze last week.

Miss Awadalla said the smoke alarms were not on when the fire took hold.

No one was hurt in the incident.

For more information on fire safety, visit hantsfire.gov.uk