Thanks for messages, says broadcaster Mike

Mike Parry at his home in Gosport overlooking the harbour
Mike Parry at his home in Gosport overlooking the harbour
The intruders at Southsea Model Village

CAUGHT ON CCTV: Vandals break into Southsea Model Village and damage castle

0
Have your say

ROADCASTER Mike Parry today sent his thanks to the thousands of people who had been in touch since he quit his national radio programme.

The journalist, a former columnist with The News, said he had been ‘completely overwhelmed’ by the response which he said had come from people around the globe.

Mr Parry, pictured, revealed in The News earlier this week that he had resigned from his popular daily show with TalkSport on February 3.

He cited ‘a long-running contractual dispute’ with the station which he said went back to the World Cup in South Africa last summer.

His resignation came five days before TalkSport announced that disgraced Sky Sports presenters Andy Gray and Richard Keys had been signed and would be filling Mr Parry’s former slot between 10am and 1pm each day.

After The News ran the story, in which he gave his blessing to his ‘old mate’ Andy Gray, Mr Parry, who has homes in Gosport and Portsmouth, said he had been inundated with messages of support.

The story on our website – portsmouth.co.uk – also attracted tens of thousands of hits from his fans and numerous comments.

Mr Parry, speaking to The News from Copenhagen where he had been watching England beat Denmark earlier this week, said: ‘I have been completely and utterly overwhelmed by the support I’ve had, not just from within the UK but from around the world.

‘I sometimes forget that my show was listened to by people on the internet all round the globe.

‘I’ve literally had thousands of messages and I want to thank each and every one of them through The News. It’s all been very moving. Thanks a million.’

Many emails backing Mr Parry, also from all over the country, have been forwarded to him for which he said he was ‘eternally grateful’.

He added: ‘I honestly had no idea that a story in The News could generate such a marvellous response. It’s been absolutely brilliant.’

Mr Parry reiterated that he bore no malice towards his old station.

But he did add: ‘If I had known the strength of feeling there was out there for me, I would probably have been prepared to suffer a couple more months of frustration at TalkSport.

‘I don’t have a single problem with anyone at TalkSport and I wish them all the best for the future.’

Gray and Keys launch their new show in Mr Parry’s old slot on Monday which he shared with Mike Graham.

They were engulfed in a sexism storm which started after they made disparaging off-air comments about a female referee’s assistant.

Moz Dee, the TalkSport programme director, said that Keys and Gray would stick to sport. They would not be encouraged to offer opinions on current affairs as Mr Parry and Mr Graham did.

He said: ‘The events of the last couple of weeks have been a lesson and have changed them. One thing that hasn’t changed however is that they are two iconic broadcasters.

‘I think it’s a sensational coup for us.’

COMMENT n Page 8

KEITH NEWBERY n Page 8