HAMPSHIRE road safety charity The Blue Lamp Trust has put together a list of top tips to help keep the county’s roads safe ahead of the Christmas period.
Road crashes and casualties are the biggest non-medical cause of death and serious injury among children and young people in the county, with reports by the Department of Transport showing there were 55 fatal casualties in Hampshire last year.
Some of the charity’s tips are:
- Take a few minutes to prepare your vehicle before you set off on your journey, including checking anti-freeze, and allow plenty of time.
- Defrost the car completely before driving off.
- Listen to weather reports and warnings on local television and radio news channels.
- Beware of winter sun, especially when the sun is low or reflecting from snow, ice or a wet road.
- If the sun is behind you, it is in the eyes of drivers coming towards you.
To see the full list, visit bluelamptrust.org.uk.