A mother has spoken of the ‘horrific‘ moment she realised her young daughter had become trapped in their car.
Victoria Cane was about to drive her two-year-old Eva from the girl’s father house in Portchester yesterday morning when the freak accident happened.
After placing her daughter in the car, she accidentally dropped her keys onto the seat before closing the door, which caused all the doors to lock from the outside.
Despite trying to pull open the door of the Volkswagen herself and setting off the car alarm, Victoria was forced to call the fire rescue to help rescue Eva.
The Gosport resident said: ‘It was absolutely horrific. The alarm was going off for about 40 minutes,
‘When it was all going on Eva was absolutely fine, waiting and laughing.’
Firefighters arrived at the scene and used wooden blocks to force open the doors to retrieve the keys and Eva.
Victoria, 34, added: ‘It took about hour and a half to get her out. I didn’t know where anyone was to help but the neighbours there all came out and helped me.
‘The fire crew were so good as well, they were there in literally minutes.’
Hampshire Fire and Rescue said a crew from Portchester station were called to The Kingsway just after 7.45am to free the two-year-old.