FOR a town which regularly shows off its patriotism, there was something missing.
But thanks to the generosity of businesses and residents, Emsworth now has a flagpole on which to proudly display the Union Jack and St George’s Cross.
Its war memorial bus shelter, next to the flagpole in The Square, has also been restored to its former glory, ready for the town’s annual St George’s Day parade.
Carol Haskett, from Emsworth Business Association, helped get the flagpole in place.
She said: ‘It all started last year when we were sorting out the logistics for the parade. Each year 47 Regiment has to transport theirs from Thorney Island and someone said “why doesn’t Emsworth have its own flagpole?”
‘I had a great response from the business association. It makes me feel very proud to know that it will be up for the parade.’
The bus shelter was installed in the 1950s in memorial to those who lost their lives in the Second World War. It is the only war memorial of its kind in the country.
Residents, the business association and The Co-op paid for its restoration and the three crowns of the Army, Royal Navy and RAF have been painted on. It will be rededicated at the parade.
St George Events
· Monday, April 18 at 7.30pm:The Emsworth Community Singers will perform at The Spice Village Restaurant, High Street.
· Tuesday, April 19 at 7.30pm: ‘Proms’ at St James Church from the Portsmouth Festival Choir.
· Wednesday, April 20 at 7.30pm: The Shanty Men will perform sea shanties at Emsworth Sailing Club.
· Thursday, April 21 at 10.30am: Military parade. The Phoenix Singers will perform patriotic songs at Emsworth Community Centre. Emsworth Museum will be open with free entry from 10am to 2pm with an exhibition of pictures by the late Maurice Broomfield.
· Friday, April 22 at 12.30pm: Traditional English lunch at The Brookfield Hotel, Havant Road, with a youth concert at 2.30pm with children from Warblington School and Emsworth and St James Primary School.
· Saturday, April 23 at 7.30pm: George’s Regis Jazz Band playing at Emsworth Community Centre