DCSIMG

‘We heard nothing from Royal Mail after this crash’

NOT HAPPY Len and Anne Wiles say they did not hear from Royal Mail after one of its vans crashed into their Gosport home last week. Picture: Paul Jacobs (14826-1)

NOT HAPPY Len and Anne Wiles say they did not hear from Royal Mail after one of its vans crashed into their Gosport home last week. Picture: Paul Jacobs (14826-1)

 

A COUPLE whose home was partly destroyed when a Royal Mail lorry crashed into it are angry that no-one from the firm got in touch for days.

Len and Anne Wiles, of Gosport, said it was only when The News contacted the company that anyone called.

And Len, 61, said both he and his wife Anne, 66, have been left traumatised by the crash.

The couple are waking up in the night after the 5.45am accident last Thursday at their Wheatsheaf Mews home.

He said: ‘We’ve been left to our own devices.

‘I’m angry at Royal Mail. I’ve demanded a meeting. They haven’t bothered at all.’

Anne added: ‘All Royal Mail seems concerned about is trying to get to its parcels.’

Royal Mail called and apologised on Monday after The News contacted its office.

Len added: ‘All I see is that damn lorry – the gaping hole with it.

‘That’s all I see every time I close my eyes.’

As reported, Len would normally have been downstairs in the living room at the time of the crash but he had decided to stay upstairs.

He and Anne were rescued from a bedroom window by firefighters after the lorry was left embedded in the home destroying a supporting wall and staircase. They were about to exchange contracts on their £160,000 home but the buyer has now pulled out.

He said: ‘To me that house is a write-off, it will be rebuilt but I doubt we’ll ever sell it.

‘We’ll have to go back in because there’s nothing else but we’ll put it up for sale because we don’t want to stop there any more.

‘I think we’ll have trouble selling it.

‘To my way of thinking, legal or not legal, that’s Royal Mail’s house now.’

The pair’s insurance company is giving them £10 a day for food but one person from the insurer suggested he buy cheap food and use his oven – that he can’t get to.

Both praised Red Cross workers who supported them.

As reported, the driver of the lorry was taken to hospital.

A Hampshire police investigation is continuing.

Brockhurst Road was shut near the home for several hours as workers installed support beams before the lorry could be pulled out.

Royal Mail spokesman, Mike Norman, said: ‘We understand the upset, distress and impact this incident has caused for Mr and Mrs Wiles.

‘Our operations director for the south west Tony Fox has spoken with Mr Wiles to assure them that Royal Mail is investigating this accident as a matter of urgency.’

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page