Couple call for return of barriers after car ploughs into Fareham home

CRASH This car knocked down the wall of Margaret Searle's home
CRASH This car knocked down the wall of Margaret Searle's home
jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Victory - Passengers line the rails of Viking Victory

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Ferry passengers insist compensation

0
Have your say

CALLS are being made to replace road barriers after a car nearly crashed through the front of a home.

The barriers on the corner of the Quay Street roundabout and Portland Street in Fareham were removed as part of the £2m revamp of the roundabout and the surrounding area.

The roundabout is being overhauled alongside the development of a new Tesco supermarket opposite in a bid to ease traffic flow in and out of Gosport.

Margaret Searle, of Portland Street in Fareham, said: ‘It’s not the driver’s fault, she was clipped by another car as she was trying to come up this way and it sent her spinning off the road and into our wall.

‘I was sat in the front room at the time. It was an almighty crash – it was such a shock. It took the whole wall down. It was very upsetting for the driver and very upsetting for us.

‘My husband often sits in the bay window there. Thankfully he was out when this happened, but it could have been disastrous.’

The accident happened at about 6.45pm on Thursday.

‘When they started doing these roadworks they took away the barriers – it’s a real safety issue,’ Mrs Searle added.

‘We had asked about them before this happened, but we were told they’re not being replaced.

‘We warned them something like this would happen.

‘There’s quite a few petrol-heads come whizzing up through the town in the evenings, if it had been one of them I don’t know what would have happened.

‘We just feel that nobody is listening to us.’

Ward councillor Paul Whittle said: ‘The safety of residents should be paramount and just because we’re encouraging development and improvements in the town, that shouldn’t be to the detriment of the people or their property.

‘We need to be getting Hampshire’s highways department to carry out an urgent review regarding these new changes.’

Councillor Mel Kendal, who is in charge of transport and environment matters for Hampshire County Council, was not available to comment.

The roundabout is expected to be fully reopened on November 21.