THE News can reveal where motorists are penalised the most in the region for speeding.
Figures show that of 8,834 speeding notices handed out in 2013, 647 were to drivers in the S031 postcode, which covers parts of Fareham such as Locks Heath, Swanwick and Warsash – more than anywhere else locally.
The next biggest offenders were motorists on roads in PO7 (Waterlooville, Hambledon, Denmead and Purbrook) where 635 tickets were issued.
Next was the PO9 areas of Havant, Leigh Park and Rowlands Castle, where 579 offences were clocked.
The lowest area was in the GU postcode covering Petersfield (159), while the least in Portsmouth was Anchorage Park, Copnor and Baffins with 223.
The statistics were pulled together by road safety charity Brake to mark Road Safety Week.
It is a time where schools, communities and businesses raise awareness and police step up traffic enforcement to deter and catch speeding drivers.
Councillor Sean Woodward, leader of Fareham Borough Council, said it was thanks to community speedwatch groups working with police that drivers were being caught.
‘It’s down to the work these groups do because they work with police and send out warning letters to people that get caught. Repeat offenders will get told more forcibly and are more likely to get speeding tickets.’
Meon Valley MP George Hollingbery said road safety was key, figures related to areas such as PO7 were not a great cause for concern.
‘That’s two tickets in all of those areas every day put together,’ he said.
‘I think we can reasonably say there’s hardly a plague of terrible drivers.
‘The areas that worry me the most are the A32 and along the A272, particularly with regards to speeding motorbikes.’
Julie Townsend, Brake deputy chief executive, said: ‘When drivers use roads without care for others the consequences can be tragic and horrific – people killed and badly injured, lives ruined forever, because of a moment of impatience or selfishness.’
HERE is a breakdown of each postcode and the number of speeding offences in each one during 2013:
- SO31 - 647 (Locks Heath, Park Gate, Warsash, Swanwick, Sarisbury, Bursledon)
- PO7 - 635 (Waterlooville, Purbrook, Widley, Denmead, Hambledon, Worlds End)
- PO9 - 579 (Havant, Leigh Park, West Leigh, Rowlands Castle, Warblington)
- PO8 - 550 (Horndean, Clanfield, Wecock Farm, Cowplain, Lovedean)
- PO12 - 546 (Gosport, Alverstoke, Hardway
- PO6 - 520 (Cosham, Port Solent, Paulsgrove, Wymering, Drayton, Farlington)
- PO20 - 479 (West Sussex - Selsey, West Wittering, East Wittering, Tangmere, Oving, Westergate, Eastergate)
- PO16 - 464 (Portchester)
- PO2 - 456 (Hilsea, Stamshaw, Tipner, North End)
- PO4 - 454 (Eastney, Milton)
- PO14 - 443 (Hill Head, Stubbington, Titchfield)
- PO13 - 406 (Gosport - Bridgemary, Lee-on-the-Solent, Peel Common, Rowner)
- PO15 - 344 (Catisfeld, Titchfield, Whiteley)
- SO32 - 334 (Bishop’s Waltham, Droxford, Swanmore, Wickham)
- PO19 - 307 (Chichester, Fishbourne)
- PO5 - 274 (Southsea, Somers Town)
- PO1 - 265 (Fratton, Portsea, Old Portsmouth)
- PO11 - 259 (Hayling Island)
- PO10 - 254 (Emsworth, Westbourne, Southborne, Woodmancote
- GU32 - 236 (Petersfield - East Meon, West Meon)
- PO3 - 223 (Anchorage Park, Copnor, Baffins)
- GU31 - 159 (Petersfield, Buriton)