Police investigations continue after driver killed in horrific caravan crash

Police investigations continue after a man was killed in the A31 crash last night
Police investigations continue after a man was killed in the A31 crash last night
jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Sportscar - The two-seater sportscar in which one man died and another was seriously injured

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Identity mystery of car crash victim

Have your say

POLICE investigations are ongoing after a man was killed in a horrific crash when his camper van collided with a truck last night.

The driver, who was in his 60s and from Fareham, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics after the incident on the A31 at Wimborne.

Police and ambulance services were called after his grey and white Fiat Autorail motorhome was involved in a head-on collision with a Dorset County Council yellow DAF tipper truck.

The man’s wife, who was in the front passenger seat of the camper van, was airlifted by air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital.

She was flown to the hospital’s trauma unit where emergency doctors were standing by.

Her injuries were serious but not life threatening.

Police have revealed that the driver of the county council truck is a man in his 40s, from Weymouth, who suffered serious injuries.

A spokesman from Dorset Police said: ‘We were called to the A31 outside the Wimborne Service Station, near Wimborne to a collision between a motorhome and tipper truck.

‘Sadly the driver of the motorhome, a man in his 60s from Fareham, died at the scene.

‘His wife, a woman in her 60s, who was the front seat passenger of the motorhome, was airlifted to Southampton hospital with serious but not life threatening injuries.

‘The driver of the tipper truck, a man in his 40s from Weymouth, was taken to Poole hospital with serious but not life threatening injuries.’

The A31 was closed for several hours to allow specially-trained crash investigators to complete their detailed investigation.

It reopened around 3.30pm but traffic delays throughout the area remained until early evening.