THE decision to not axe a controversial bus lane leading into Portsmouth’s city centre is being reviewed on Friday.
Tory traffic boss Ken Ellcome last month decided to trim the length of the lane rather than scrap it altogether.
But this was against what council leader Donna Jones had earlier proposed – scrapping it between Havisham Road and Church Street – and now she is going to consider whether to overturn Cllr Ellcome’s decision.
It follows a backlash from motorists about the lane, which they say has caused severe congestion since it was introduced by the previous Lib Dem administration last year.
And Cllr Jones is urging drivers ahead of Friday’s meeting, being held from 2pm at Portsmouth Guildhall, to email her with their views so she can read them out.
‘It’s really important people who do support the M275 being open to all traffic to make the meeting, and if they can’t then they can send me their views,’ Cllr Jones, pictured, said.
‘Although people across the city supported this idea, no-one came to support it at the previous meeting.’
Cllr Ellcome said at a meeting over the situation on February 19 that it would not be in the interests of public transport users and the city’s park-and-ride if the bus lane, introduced last year, was removed entirely.
Anyone who wishes to speak at the meeting, being held in the executive meeting room on the third floor, need to contact the council’s democratic services department on (023) 92834 057.
Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
People can email Cllr Jones at Cllr.Donna.Jones@portsmouthcc.gov.uk