Transport boss defends decision after petition

Police at the scene near Waddesdon 810054fd-364c-4ef5-84d3-89d35d70

NATIONAL: Four dead in horror mid-air crash between plane and helicopter

0
Have your say

CUTS to bus routes have been defended by the county council’s transport boss, who said they were necessary to deal with reductions from central government.

Councillor Sean Woodward spoke out after a petition containing more than 800 names was presented to him, which had been organised by Miles Grindey, a prospective parliamentary candidate for the Green party in Fareham and the chairman of Warsash Residents’ Association.

Cllr Woodward said that the changes, including the later start time of the older person’s bus pass which came in to force on April 1, were only done after a consultation that received more than 3,000 responses.

He said: ‘In some cases difficult decisions were made to make the best use of the finite budget available – government funding having been halved in this area.’

He said the council could only justify subsidising bus services if there was a ‘large demand’ and added that some routes, such as the X4, have increased in frequency.