TROLLEYS are overflowing with goodies that have been donated to The News festive food appeal.
Food banks are now starting to collect the goodies a week after we started our appeal to help poor and homeless people this Christmas time.
The first trolley to fill up was at Morrisons in Gosport where staff as well as customers have been making donations.
Yesterday, Flavia Trewin, who delivers food hampers on behalf of the Jacobs Well Family Church in Bridgemary, collected two trolleys full of food including chocolates, mince pies and tins of soup.
They will now be made into Christmas hampers.
‘I’m absolutely overwhelmed by the generosity of the public and the members of Morrisons staff,’ she said.
‘I can’t thank them enough for all their support and the way in which they have given. It’s just warmed my heart. I had absolutely no idea that it was going to be such a huge amount of food.
‘It’s surpassed all of our expectations. This is going to make a huge difference to an awful lot of single people living in homeless accommodation.’
Gary Drew, store manager at Morrisons, donated two full boxes of chocolate selection packs.
He said: ‘It’s supporting our local charities and making sure that people who are underprivileged over the Christmas period are supported.
‘Some people have dug very deep and put significant amounts in.’
Meanwhile, trolleys at Sainsbury’s in Farlington, Morrisons in Horndean as well as Tesco stores in Havant and North Harbour are also full to the brim.
But we want you to keep donating right up until Christmas.
Flavia added: ‘To anyone who is considering donating it’s just the best thing you could do at Christmas to help somebody feel loved and cared for to give them a ray of hope at this really difficult time of the year.’
To donate, choose an item from the list and put it into one of our trolleys or collection points. We’re also looking for butchers to donate turkeys for Christmas meals.
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes