Tumble dryer safety tips given by fire service after two blazes

From left, University of Portsmouth head of brand strategy and corporate communications Emma Fields, Portsmouth FC commercial director Anna Mitchell, university governor and former Portsmouth FC President David Willan, football club CEO Mark Catlin and university vice chancellor Professor Graham Galbraith

Pompey announces major new deal with University of Portsmouth

0
Have your say

HOUSEHOLDERS are being warned about tumble dryer safety after they caused two fires in Portsmouth.

The guidance comes from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, following a fire in Jervis Road, Tipner, and Lower Derby Road, Stamshaw, at the weekend.

Kevin Evenett, group manager for Portsmouth, said: ‘We’re urging people to be aware of the risks associated with tumble dryers.

‘We’re urging residents to follow these tips to help reduce the chances of suffering this sort of fire.’

The service has issued the following advice:

n Don’t leave the tumble dryer running overnight or when out – dryers are a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors.

n Remove lint from the trap after every load of dried clothes.

n Do not cover the vent or any other opening.

n Ensure the vent pipe is free of kinks and is not crushed in any way.

n Only used recommended vent pipes, and not improvised ones.

n Only vent the warm air to the outside of a building.

n Do not put rags or materials used to soak up flammable liquids into a dryer.

n Signs a tumble dryer is not properly ventilated, include clothes taking a very long time to dry, especially heavy articles of clothing such as towels or jeans; clothes feeling hotter than usual at the end of the cycle; or the flapper on the vent hood remains closed when the dryer is on.