‘Ugly bins are spoiling our beautiful seafront,’ say Portsmouth residents

RUBBISH David Spencer with one of the offending bins
RUBBISH David Spencer with one of the offending bins
rw images from Simon Hart


From: Simon Hart <southsea2006@yahoo.co.uk>

Even though George V proclaimed all German titles were to be given up by his family a century ago (July 17 1917), there is still physical evidence in our city of the Germanic royal house that once existed. Two commemoration stones relating to members of the royal house previous to the House of Windsor are so readily a part of the fabric of our daily lives but are probably in the most part overlooked.

A walk along Queen Street and on the corner with Aylward Street will present a building with a foundation stone that was laid by HRH Princess Henry of Battenberg in 1912. This was the married title of Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice which was relinquished on 14 July 1917. From 17 July 1917 she was known as HRH the Princess Beatrice.

A visit to Sainsburys foyer in Commercial Road will provide the opportunity to see a commemoration stone for the opening of the Child's Ward of the Royal Hospital in 1909 by HH Princess Victoria of Schleswig

Four arrested after police crackdown in Commercial Road

  • Bins have been placed along Southsea sefront
  • They are often in places next to other empty bins
  • Portsmouth City Council says they are to cope with extra demand
0
Have your say

A SERIES of shoddy bins planted along Southsea seafront have been removed after a resident alerted The News about them.

The temporary yellow boxes were made out of what looked like collapsable cardboard, and had bin liners roughly taped to the inside.

Who at the council is controlling this?

David Spencer

The bins were secured to signposts and railings using packaging tape, cord, and in one case, old bootstraps.

But since Southsea resident David Spencer, 56, got in touch with The News and we queried Portsmouth City Council on the matter, all 10 of them have been removed, except the one which has bootstraps fixing it in place.

Mr Spencer said the bins were not fit for purpose.

He said: ‘You might think it’s a small issue, but it’s just annoying when you know that public money is being spent in such a manner.

‘For a start, they’re quite an eyesore, and then there’s the way they’ve been attached by any means possible.

‘They’re not sturdy, they just fall apart, and should they become loose they would just blow into the road so they’re a hazard to road users.’

Mr Spencer said the bins were not properly cleaned and could turn off visitors to the seafront.

He said: ‘Someone seems to be just getting out the rubbish with a picker and then all the old food at the bottom is just left in there stinking.’

Many of the bins were placed nearby permanent blue bins which are not nearly full.

Mr Spencer said: ‘Who at the council is controlling this? I image there’s a surplus of them so they’ve decided to start putting them along the seafront.’

Mr Spencer said he had written to the council twice about the bins but had not yet received a reply.

But the council said they had been put in to cope with extra demand over the summer months.

The council’s private finance initiative network coordinator Michelle Love said: ‘Extra temporary bins will be in place in various locations along Southsea seafront and Old Portsmouth at weekends and during the summer.

‘These are to cope with the additional demand during the summer and when there are events on and a greater number of visitors to the area.’