VIDEO REPORT: Man dies after suffering electric shock at Mountbatten Centre football pitch in Portsmouth

A man died after being electrocuted in an artificial football pitch between the Mountbatten Centre and Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre. The pitch is taped off tonight Picture: Kimberley Barber

A man died after being electrocuted in an artificial football pitch between the Mountbatten Centre and Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre. The pitch is taped off tonight Picture: Kimberley Barber

4
Have your say

POLICE have cordoned off a football pitch after a man was electrocuted.

The artificial pitch, which has a metal cage over it and is between the Mountbatten Centre and Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre, has been sealed off. The shock left the 35-year-old unconscious and he later died.

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said that it was called to reports of a man suffering an electric shock, at just after 6.30pm today. She said the man was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham.

A police spokeswoman said that a passing police officer was flagged down and he then alerted his colleagues. She confirmed that the man had died and that his next of kin has been informed.

Back to the top of the page