Video: Residents evacuated after kitchen fire in Southsea flats

The scene of the fire in Clarendon Road
The scene of the fire in Clarendon Road
3
Have your say

A SMALL kitchen fire led to neighbours being evacuated from their homes.

Firefighters were called to a block of flats, at Everell Court, Clarendon Road, in Southsea, at around 8pm last night.

The fire started after food cooking on a hob in a third-floor flat caught alight.

It was put out quickly by the attending fire crew from Southsea Fire Station.

A spokesman said: ‘We were called to the blaze at Clarendon Road after a small fire started in the kitchen.

‘It was soon put out by the crew.’

A young girl was treated at the scene by South Central Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation. No-one else was injured or in need of treatment.

Station Manager Dave Graham, the incident commander who features in the video on this story, said: ‘This was a small fire in the kitchen. Six firefighters using three jets put out the fire.

He said that the young girl was lead to safety by crews.

‘We provided her with oxygen and asked for an ambulance to attend. After the paramedics assessed her she was taken to the QA Hospitial in Cosham to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

‘The property did have a working smoke alarm and it successfully activated. Before we left we offered to install additional alarms to other residents within the block. We also offered some a free home fire safety visit.

‘It’s important everyone makes sure their home is protected and if anyone thinks they could use some help or advice from us then we want to hear from them.’

Video by Jason Kay