Warning after candles left burning cause fire in Southsea home

Chancellor Philip Hammond holding his red ministerial box outside 11 Downing Street, London, before heading to the House of Commons to deliver his Budget

City Labour MP slams budget for ‘failing Portsmouth’

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS in Southsea are warning people to not leave candles burning when they leave the house.

The crew were called to a fire this evening after a home-owner left candles burning in his living room.

A cabinet in the room caught alight and the neighbours had to call 999.

A spokesman from Southsea fire station said: ‘We were called to a fire after the resident left the house but still had candles lit.

‘Luckily they had smoke alarms which activated otherwise it would have been a lot worse.

‘You should never leave candles burning or items plugged in when you leave home.’

The crew were able to put out the small blaze, at Alhambra Close, off Alhambra Road in Southsea, quickly.

They were called at 5.40pm.