Warning as bioethanol burners cause two house fires

Crews were called out at 12.03am
Crews were called out at 12.03am
Here's your travel and weather update this morning.

Morning travel and weather: Clouds and rain today

3
Have your say

A WARNING has been issued following two fires involving bioethanol burners.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has given the warning after they attended a fire in Holmbush Way, Southwick, on February 7.

A bioethanol fuel bottle exploded, injuring one of the occupiers and damaging their home.

This followed an incident in December at a house in Worthing, where a bioethanol burner bought from eBay caused a fire which left the occupier’s carpet burnt and the chimney breast blackened.

Fire safety officer for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, Paul Wykes, said: ‘Bioethanol fuel, whether in liquid or gel form, is highly flammable and can burn without a visible flame. It should be treated with extreme caution both when using and storing it.

‘The occupier in Worthing had attempted to refill the fire not realising it was still alight, resulting in burns to his hands and feet which required hospital treatment.

‘We’d urge people not to fill the burners with fuel when they are switched on.’

Advice for the burners include following instructions, extinguishing all fires when leaving a room and keeping it away from ignition sources.

For more information visit westsussex.gov.uk/fire