Warning is issued to wary of the ‘silent killer’

Brexit trade fears to be raised at MP lunch

0
Have your say

PEOPLE have been urged to make sure their homes are ‘carbon monoxide safe’ in the lead up to Christmas.

Hampshire County Council has warned people of the dangers of the gas, which is sometimes called the ‘silent killer’ because you cannot see it, hear it, smell it or taste it.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic, colourless and odourless gas produced by faulty or badly installed gas appliances.

The council’s executive member for health, Councillor Patricia Stallard, said: ‘Every year in the UK, a small number of people sadly lose their lives to this silent killer.

‘But there are some simple steps that people can take to help protect themselves such as ensuring their gas appliances are properly fitted and regularly serviced by Gas Safe registered engineers.’

About 50 people die of carbon monoxide poisoning every year across the UK.

Safety steps the council advises include installing a carbon monoxide alarm and getting appliances checked every year.