LIFEGUARDS have urged seaside visitors to be extra careful this summer after a woman was stung by a poisonous weever fish.
Jane Smith was paddling near South Parade pier, in Southsea, this week when the creature stung her on the foot.
The 63-year-old had gone for a swim beside the pier on Wednesday morning when she was left in agony.
She was wading in shallow water when she felt something sting her right foot.
Jane, from Grove Road South, Southsea, said: ‘I stepped on a patch of sand and suddenly this shooting pain went right through my foot.
‘It felt as if I had been stung by a wasp.’
‘I immediately got out of the water and managed to get home, but the pain lasted for an hour.
‘It didn’t stop me from walking and there wasn’t any bleeding but I was left with a small red mark which is still tender now.’
Matthew White, senior lifeguard at Portsmouth Lifeguards said: ‘The creature would have been a weever fish because they are commonly buried in the sand.
‘They have spines on their back which act as a defence mechanism.
‘If they are trodden on, the spines will sting their victim.
‘Weever fish aren’t common on Portsmouth’s shingle beaches but at low tide there is a greater risk of them being present.
‘I urge people to wear waterproof shoes when they swim to keep themselves safe.’