West Sussex bin men pricked by needles left in rubbish

hmsd

0
Have your say

TWO bin men face a nervous wait for test results after being pricked by hypodermic needles left in rubbish bags.

The needles had been left incorrectly in black bags by residents for collection in the Bognor and Barnham areas of West Sussex, earlier this summer.

Despite wearing protective clothing, both men were pierced in the hands.

They were taken to hospital immediately and will have six months of medical and blood tests to check if they have been infected. The injuries can transmit diseases such as potentially fatal hepatitis and HIV.

Laura Parker, business manager of Biffa, the company contracted to the collect bins, said: ‘Needle sticks are a very real danger to my staff. They wear gloves and ballistic nylon trousers but those won’t stop a needle stick.’

A free needle collection service is provided by Arun District Council for residents wanting to get rid of their hypodermic needles safely.

Broken glass, pottery or knives should be wrapped in paper or cardboard.