Woman rescued from fire after she fell asleep cooking

Fellow student Bethany Toon, 17, with Bruce Wetherill, 25, at St Vincent College, Gosport  Picture: Neil Marshall (171028-16)

Bruce a step closer to his army dream

0
Have your say

A WOMAN was rescued from a fire that broke out in her flat after she fell asleep while cooking in the early hours.

Fire crews from Havant, Emsworth, Southsea and Cosham were called to the kitchen fire at Chichester House in Lockerley Road, West Leigh, at around 2.20am.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue service said: ‘A resident had fallen asleep, leaving cooking unattended.

‘The fire had fortunately burned out by the time the crews arrived but one woman was helped to safety by firefighters and given oxygen therapy by paramedics.’

Group Manager Murray added: ‘This was an example of where carelessness could have put lives at risk and we were glad to be able rescue the woman safely.’