Workmate saves electrocuted Gosport dad’s life - by hitting him with a plank

editorial image

Portsmouth divers called after merchant vessel anchor spears torpedo

0
Have your say

A GOSPORT dad owes his life to a workmate who hit him with a plank when he was electrocuted.

Fifty-year-old Mark Bradley suffered a 11,000-volt shock when a metal lamppost he was installing hit an overhead power cable.

His workmate Ade Savage pulled and punched him a bid to free him from the charge, but he too suffered shocks.

But quick-thinking Ade grabbed a plank and slammed it onto Mark. Because wood is not a conductor of electricity, the flow stopped.

Mark, a father of four daughters and three step-children, suffered burns to his face and arms in the accident at a Network Rail site in Basingstoke.

He is being treated at a specialist burns unit in Swansea.

Mark’s brother Michael said: ‘The man is a hero. He saved my brother’s life.’

Ade suffered burns himself, for which he was treated at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth.

The men’s employers, BAM Construction, said in a statement: ‘We can confirm there was an accident on our Basingstoke site late on Monday afternoon where we are working for Network Rail.

‘We deeply regret that this has happened, and our thoughts are with those affected.’

The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the accident.