Stone Square, Leigh Park, then and now

Stone Square, Leigh Park circa 1958 Picture: Paul Costen collection and, inset, today

Stone Square, Leigh Park circa 1958 Picture: Paul Costen collection and, inset, today

2
Have your say

This is Stone Square in Leigh Park pictured in the late 1950s.

Most of the shops have changed hands and no longer trade. Parades of shops ike these were set up all over the estate and did a roaring trade before the advent of the large supermarkets and, of course, car ownership which enabled people to get to them.

STONE SQUARE TODAY

The butcher's has long gone as has the grocer and fish shop.
Trees lighten the landscape and the cycles have been replaced by cars.
A sad scene today.
STONE SQUARE TODAY The butcher's has long gone as has the grocer and fish shop. Trees lighten the landscape and the cycles have been replaced by cars. A sad scene today.

To the left there is English the grocer. Mr English jumped on the bandwagon when Leigh Park was built and secured several premises. He had another in Botley Drive.

Next to him was the fish and chip shop and then a newsagents most probably Cusworth who was another local businessman with shops all over the estate.

Finally we have the butchers shop of C Dearsley with sheets of paper hanging in the window.

Notice the cycles standing on the kerb rather than lying on the pavement as is the custom today.

The woman to the right seems to be trimming her privet hedge with shears on this fine summer’s day.

 

Back to the top of the page