UPDATE: Woman taken to hospital after flat fire in Southsea

editorial image
HMS Queen Elizabeth, the Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier, as she left Portsmouth for the first time

REVEALED: The new luxury interiors of the Royal Navy’s biggest warship

0
Have your say

TWO firefighters led a woman to safety after a fire broke out in her flat.

The young woman was reportedly asleep in her flat on the third floor of Everell Court, in Clarendon Road, Southsea, as smoke filled the corridor outside at 1am.

Firefighters have said the blaze started after cooking was left unattended.

Neighbour Alan White, 69, saw firefighters rescue the young woman from the flat.

‘The first I saw of her was when two firemen brought her out her front door.’

Alan was woken by another neighbour in the corridor.

He said: ‘He phoned us about one o’clock and saw there was smoke in the hallway and then I came to the door.

‘The hallway was full of smoke, I’d been in bed with my wife.

‘I was coughing, the smoke had come through.’

He added: ‘The smoke (outside) was very thick, I just thought “get out of here”.

‘We got out straight away and evacuated the building, there was a few other residents outside.’

Firefighters allowed residents back in at around 2.30am.

Crew manager Steve Jolliffe from Southsea Fire Station said the fire had been started after the woman started cooking food and fell asleep.

Mr Jolliffe said the woman was on her own in the flat and had to be led out by fire crews.

He also urged people not to try cooking late at night when they might be feeling tired.

The woman was treated by ambulance staff before being taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital as a precaution.