City boxing scene set for shake-up

Floyd Moore has been taken under the wing of manager and promoter Steve Goodwin

Floyd Moore has been taken under the wing of manager and promoter Steve Goodwin

Have your say

A BOXING revolution is coming to Portsmouth.

That is the promise of promoter Steve Goodwin, who is vowing to stage the biggest professional event the city has ever seen.

And that could lead to an exciting period culminating in a huge open-air show in the area.

Goodwin has agreed a deal to manage Fareham braveheart Floyd Moore, as he looks to get back into title contention.

And a link-up with Portsmouth trainer and manager Michael Ballingall is set to pave the way for an exciting period for the fight game.

An opening show in the partnership will be staged at the Pyramids on September 20.

Goodwin is then looking to stage a flurry of events showcasing the best talent from Portsmouth and surrounding areas.

He said: ‘It’s going to be exciting working with Michael and his team of fighters.

‘I’ve been asked to manage and promote Floyd Moore.

‘It’s not just about him, but the rest of the boxers in the area, too.

‘The south coast has been starved of really major events.

‘There was a show with Floyd and Adam Dingsdale recently and good fights with Tony Oakey in the past.

‘But, in recent times, there hasn’t really been any major events.

‘We want to start staging some of the biggest events ever held in the area. Floyd will be an integral part of that with other fights.

‘We expect it to really build up over the next 12 months.

‘I’ve no doubt we’ll be the biggest promoters on the south coast.’

Next month’s show already has some interesting contests in prospect.

Chief among them is Andy’s Gatenby’s clash with former European super-bantamweight champ Esham Pickering.

There is also Titchfield scrapper Sam Couzens’ match-up with Southampton’s unbeaten light-heavyweight Chris Hobbs.

The event will be the pre-cursor to another show later this year.

Goodwin promised he is planning to sink investment into building up the fight scene in the city.

He feels that is something which has been previously missing.

And the aim is to work towards a spectacular outdoor event in 2016.

Goodwin said: ‘We’ll definitely run two shows this year.

‘One on September 20 and one on December 5.

‘Then we’re looking to do a major event towards the end of March.

‘We really want to bring big-time boxing back to Portsmouth.

‘Next year we hope to do four to six shows as a minimum.

‘The more boxers and managers who want to be a part of it, the more shows we’ll do.

‘It’ll be nice to stage a major open-air show in 2016.

‘There are really good venues, and, if Floyd gets to where he wants to be, we’ll hopefully do a really big open-air show.

‘We need to promote the events. We want to promote the boxers and get the local community to do that.

‘We will do press conferences, open-air sparring sessions and weigh-ins at shopping centres.

‘It has to be big-time boxing with big-time promotion.’

Back to the top of the page