Former Hampshire batsman Phil Hughes remains in a critical condition 24 hours on from being struck in the head by a bouncer in a Sheffield Shield match in Australia.
There has been no change to Hughes’ condition from yesterday, when the 25-year-old underwent emergency surgery after taking a blow to the back, lower left side of the head before being put on life support.
“Phillip’s condition is unchanged and he remains critical,” said a short statement from Australian team doctor Peter Brukner.
Hughes, who played five games for Hampshire in 2010, was left fighting for his life while batting for South Australia when he collapsed at the Sydney Cricket Ground after playing and missing at a sharply rising ball from New South Wales paceman Sean Abbott.
The left-hander, on 63 at the time, put a hand on his knee after being struck before falling face first to the ground. Play in the game was immediately suspended and the match later abandoned entirely.
He was then given mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and oxygen on the boundary line after being carried off the pitch on a stretcher.
Hughes was then rushed to the city’s St Vincent’s Hospital, where he underwent surgery and is being monitored in the intensive care unit.
The incident has been greeted with shock around the world with fellow professionals, cricket fans and governing bodies alike sending messages of support.
Hampshire Cricket tweeted: “The thoughts & prayers of everybody at @hantscricket are with former Hampshire batsman Phil Hughes. We’re all wishing him a speedy recovery.”
Dimi Mascarenhas tweeted: “My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, fight hard mate #PhilHughes Also feeling for Sean Abbott and the rest of the players.”
James Vince tweeted: “Terrible news about Phil Hughes. Thoughts with him and his family. Wishing a full and speedy recovery.”
And Michael Carberry said: “My thoughts and prayers go out to my ex team mate Phil Hughes.”
South Australia coach Darren Berry took to Twitter on Wednesday to express his gratitude for the well-wishes.
He wrote: “Thanks for all messages It has been a traumatic 24 hours for all. Phillip Hughes we love you mate. Our love & thoughts to family & friends.”
As a result of Hughes’ plight, Cricket Australia has announced the current round of Sheffield Shield games have been abandoned.
The governing body’s executive general manager of team performance Pat Howard said: ‘’We’ve spoken to players and the ACA (Australian Cricketers’ Association), and given how players across the country are feeling right now, it’s just not the day to be playing cricket and we understand that.
‘’We are continuing to offer all players and match officials counselling and support at this difficult time.
‘’Phillip Hughes continues to receive the best possible medical care. The thoughts of his teammates and the wider cricket community are with Phillip and his family and friends at this difficult time.’’
Hughes - well-known to English fans both internationally and domestically after spells with Hampshire, Middlesex and Worcestershire - has been in and out of Australia’s Test side since making his debut in 2009 and has not featured in over a year.
But he was in line for a potential recall for the first Test against India next month, with captain Michael Clarke a serious doubt with a hamstring injury.
His last appearance for his national side came last month in a one-day international against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates.
Brukner had earlier confirmed that Hughes was to undergo scans this morning.