Taxpayer upset Stag to bank quarter-final spot

Adam Lipscombe.  Picture: Sarah Standing (133634-3212)
Adam Lipscombe. Picture: Sarah Standing (133634-3212)
Louis Arnell hit at 120 finish. Picture: Sarah Standing (160515-7312)

Newcome have got Admiral’s number

Have your say

Jolly Taxpayer A turned on the style to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Portsmouth Men’s Winter League Challenge Cup.

The division D side upset division B outfit Stag C 5-4.

Impressive Taxpayer took a 3-1 lead as Tyson Kendall, Robert Houghton and Jack Heather were on the mark.

Only Mark Cunningham could muster any early resistance for Stag.

Alan D Graf and Stephen Clarke put Stag back on level terms before Steve Houghton moved Taxpayer within a leg of victory.

Stag forced a decider with a win from Dion Jukes but Taxpayer’s Mark Harris junior clinched victory for his side.

Top-flight Jameson Arms joined Taxpayer in the last eight after coming from behind to beat division C side Phoenix North End C 5-4.

Peter Pitt and Rob Andrews got Jameson off to a good start but they were soon trailing as Dean Messenbird, Lee Cook, Trevor Cawte and Mike Feaver notched legs for Phoenix.

Division D’s Raven also progressed following their 5-4 triumph over Pembroke, from division E.

Allen Gaymer’s 16-dart leg gave Raven the opener before Glenn Bremner and Lee Simmons extended their lead.

Richard Gabbini pulled one back for Pembroke but Ken O’Hara then put Raven within a leg of victory.

Edward Cook and Danny Jones kept Pembroke in the match.

However, Raven’s Bob Steel sealed victory, leaving Steve Brett to bag a consolation for Pembroke.

Adam Lipscombe (Admiral Drake B) and Liam Jafkins (Mr Pickwick B) fired in 16-darters, with Jafkins also scoring 180.

Jason Crawley (Phoenix North End B) threw an 18-dart leg.

Froddington Arms shone in the second round of the plate competition as the division E outfit triumphed 5-4 over division A’s Lord Chichester A.

Sean Hickley took the opener for Froddington but Chichester hit straight back through Pat Reed.

Froddington moved 3-1 up courtesy of Brian Stewart and Kevin Hayes before Terry Dugan halved Chichester’s deficit.

A maximum from Daniel Browne helped him put Froddington 4-2 up.

And despite a fight back from Chichester’s Paul Stanley and Pete Curtis, Froddington moved into the quarter-finals as David Lock won the decider.

Division E’s Old House at Home C recorded a 6-3 win over George & Dragon B, of division F.

Old House wasted little time in taking control, with legs from Daniel Legg, Mark Brooks snr, Gavin Potter and Kane Potter – 108 finish – putting them 4-1 up, while Phillip Ponsford got the early win for George.

Michael Stapleton claimed a second leg for George but the match was soon over as a contest with John Blower winning for Old House.

Mark Pearce took a consolation leg for George before Mark Brooks jnr added Old House’s sixth.