Deans and Moneys draw... Portchester deny Petersfield

Gavin Spurway went close to a winner
Gavin Spurway went close to a winner
Ryan Pennery netted for Moneyfields. Picture: Neil Marshall (171026-11)

Trophy dream is over for Moneys

Have your say

Horndean and Moneyfields had to settle for a point apiece as they drew 1-1 in the Wessex League premier division derby at Five Heads Park.

The Deans almost won it at the death when Gavin Spurway crashed a 25-yard shot against the crossbar.

Louis Bell fired the rebound towards the bottom corner but Moneyfields goalkeeper Joe Hunt pulled off a vital save.

Hosts Horndean had broken the deadlock, 10 minutes into the second half, after Moneyfields defender Russell Rackley was adjudged to have pushed an attacker inside the area.

Lewis Stockford made no mistake with his spot-kick.

Steve Hutchings then scrambled the ball in from a corner to level the scores, 15 minutes from time.

‘It was a typical derby with both teams giving little away,’ said Horndean boss Dave Carter.

‘Both teams went at it and worked their socks off from the start but defences were on top for most of the game.

‘The draw means we have taken four points off a team who I think are capable of winning the title.

‘In our last two games we have been up against two of the best strike-forces and conceded just once from a set-piece.

‘We have suffered just one defeat in nine games and need to keep that going.’

Moneyfields manager Miles Rutherford felt the draw was a fair result.

He said: ‘Horndean were the better team in the first half but we shaded the second.

‘I thought the penalty was a bit harsh and Horndean have proved a bit of a bogey side for us.

‘It was pleasing to come from behind and not lose.’

AFC Portchester and Petersfield Town drew 1-1 at Wicor Rec.

Dan Thompson put the visitors ahead with an excellent strike through a crowd of players.

But Jamie Musselwhite replied with a penalty for Portchester to earn the draw.

‘It was a tough game,’ said Royals boss Graham Rix.

Fareham Town’s game against Winchester City at Cams Alders was postponed.